Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Grave

One by one,
the days fall beside us
like yellow leaves.

We have no conscience
of what we're becoming.

Month by month,
the rings on our tree trunks,
like old wise eyes,
grow wider.

And winter lends them a dead disguise.

Now time-
like an ocean knows tide –
like a notion to toss about the house
and lose inside the couch.

And piles of our thoughts run miles in the dark
Just tryin to get home.

Age by age,
we rhyme with our seasons' rehearsed routines.
Still turning and returning.

Now I'm wide as the ocean.
Now I bleed roses.

And you are just a mark on the map of my past.

But I am a road I wind along alone all day until the coast.

It's easier being alone
You're a shadow of the old
And I want something new

We're walking in the sand,
And you are holding my hand.
Your eyes are sparkling like the sea.
And I just see you and me.

Come quick,
the water’s up to my neck and I can barely breathe.
Yet all you say is “take it slowly”.

I was swimming in a sea of strange bodies
One of them was
Me

I can hear the clock ticking in my brain
down
down
down


I would just
wake up every morning with a new bird in my cage
I would just fly away

quarter turn and I am falling
so dangerously
so precariously
off that cliff

so sweet and full
with crimson lips
and amorous hearts
they are dying

I would just
float away in to the mist
into the frost
into the dew

The bitter light filtering through the leaves
casting eerie shadows amongst our hearts
and tangled limbs

So timid so haunting
I cannot breathe
altitude
so cumbersome

Pressing on my lungs
the breeze so sweet
puts my mind into a frenzy
wondering


If that box I buried is
A grave or a time capsule

No comments:

Post a Comment